LOST ON LAFAYETTE


Help Me Help You

Friday























Helping Hampy get Un-Lost: Part 1 of 4

My dear friend from college sent me a letter asking me to help him find four things in Detroit. Well, I am on a mission for the other two, but have accomplished the first.

Where to get seedlings for tomatoes (and of course other veggies too).

The first thing I thought of when asked this question was Eastern Market. During the summer, not only do they have a great selection of produce but they also have plants--flowers and food. Usually seedlings for plants can be found in the back sheds, between Wilkins and Division St.

As far as seeds go there are many more options, and creating your own seedlings is not so difficult. I will put directions on how to do that later on. For seeds you can go to Busy Bee hardware, which is also in Eastern Market. There is an Ace hardware on 2200 Trumbull, and Detroit Hardware Co at 6432 Woodward-which all more than likely have seeds as well.

But back to seedlings because that was my mission! Finally, you may be able to get FREE seedlings and farming help from the Garden Resources Program Collaborative. I am not sure how this works but I am going to find out for my own garden this summer. Here is their website so that you can get more info yourself, for your own specific needs. This organization is great and an example of what is possible for this City's future! They also sell great lettuces and produce at Eastern Market on Saturdays. Get your gardening on!

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Also, why are you not on the list of people who can read mine?
    What?
    I invited you, right? Anyway, I just did again.
    I love you and miss you!!!
    Love,
    Natrash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay horay! I will note all of these for future reference. I have the darndest time growing things other than lettuce from seeds, but I might give it a go again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh natasha I am so glad you like the blog!
    I never knew you had one but i will definitely read it!
    i love you more! ANG

    ReplyDelete